Monday, October 11, 2010

A Month Has Passed...

Today officially marks exactly a month since I left Hawaii for Japan. On one hand it seems like I have been in Japan for a long time, since I have already seen and done so much! On the other hand, a month just passed by?!! Are you kidding me? Time flies. Well this week went by WAY faster than last week. All my classes are set and I seem to be happy with the choices I made. This week I am still working on finding clubs to join. I am now realizing that joining clubs mid year as a exchange student (and not having great Japanese skills) makes it slightly more challenging. Once I get connected with one I have found, I find out that some of them are on a different Waseda campus that is quite a ways from my home campus...oh my, the big city/big school definitely has its challenges.

On the bright side...

This week I had a chance to dance! My friend took me to a studio that she goes to (which is mainly hip hop things) and it was awesome! It was so nice taking a class again. Taking a dance class taught in a different language is living proof that dance is a universal language. One that goes beyond the barrier of language. Thank you dance for saving me!! I mean I basically depend on gestures to convey certain ideas on a daily basis :). Well it was great to be in a space and environment that I am semi comfortable with. I had a great time and will hopefully go back!

For Friday and the weekend I did not go out. I had plans but thanks to the impressive rainy weather I was in no way motivated to travel to where I initially wanted to go. I did get to go shopping on Saturday after class, yay! :P I got to walk around the Sunshine City area in Ikebukuro. It really isn't a city but just a few streets so I found that funny but regardless it was still amusing. I went into a few shops, one of them being the Sanrio Hello Kitty store. May I add that 1) I guess I didn't expect Hello Kitty to be still super popular in Japan (she has been around for a LONG time). 2) The merchandise in there was way more expensive then I was expecting from a Japan located Sanrio store. 3) Um there were a ton of older men checking out the hello kitty things! And they definitely were not ashamed. w o w that was pure awesomeness!

Moving on to this weekend, I didn't go anywhere. It feels like I haven't been to Waseda for a week. I spent this weekend catching up on sleep, since I was feeling border-line sick. I also had wonderful outings with my host family. We went to the mall, played in the park and eat at a a keitan sushi place that was so good. I like totally over-ate. Dang you keitan sushi!! :)

Today was a free day. The second Monday of October in Japan is a holiday: I believe it was Health and Sports Day so people get work off. I believe school still continued but luckily for me I didn't have classes today. What a warm and gorgeous day for the outdoors!
My family had a BBQ with some friends and it was great! We skipped breakfast this morning (expecting a huge day feast in the afternoon.) My family packed food and necessities and we headed out on our bikes! Yes BIKES!--all the food and stove supplies were hauled into the baskets and child seats on the bike. Btw I will mention that the Japanese are superb bike drivers/multitaskers. CRAZY! This was my first experience riding a bike in Japan. Its fun yet scary at the same time since there are cars you have to be cautious of when riding on the road and then there are a lot of people and bikes on the side walk that you have to dodge. I actually almost crashed with this other man on a bike. His fault!

We had the BBQ at a beautiful big park, or . There were TONS of people enjoying the nice day outside at the park. Today it reached like 87, a drastic change from the cold rainy days this weekend! The sun made the day amazingly hot! there was not a lot of cloud cover. I actually got some sun today! I got some tan marks as proof :O. I ate a lot of delicious food and played with the kids and attempted to talk and answer the questions thrown at me. Oh gosh :P

It was all good. Great week....boo class tomorrow and more rain :(

No comments:

Post a Comment