Saturday, October 2, 2010

Day 9: Meeting Host Family:

Day 9: Meeting Host Family:

Woke up super hungry...obviously! Got some convini asagohan. The azuki bean ahnman is my fav! (a hot bun that we call manapua back home). Can I just state that the food quality in Japan in general is good! Even at the family mart’s and 7/11 convinis. Yum yum. Today was hotel check out day. Bye bye Sakura Hotel and Ikebukuro.

I chilled in the lobby of the hotel for a bit talking with people as various groups made their way to the station. I eventually followed. We reached Waseda and made our way up to our assigned classroom. Our group sesh meeting was an orientation on home stay and a lunch talk with Japan Study alumni. For lunch we had various salads from the convini and pizza! The pizza we got was quite expensive but it was really delicious! It was fun!


At 4pm the host families were suppose to arrive. Honestly ALL of us were somewhat nervous. The expectations and pre-conceived ideas of our family started to work and play in our brains. I know I was nervous speaking to them in Japanese and facing the fact that I wouldn’t understand some of the things they would say. It felt like it would be intimidating! You could feel the unsettled and uncomfortable atmosphere of that room. Finally families came and names were called. As we started to pair off and talk with our families it became exciting and more at ease. All of the host families seem really cool and nice. Knowing that they wanted the experience of cultural differences, international exposure and they were interest in us was comforting. Meeting the family (a very important aspect to our Japan trip) was a great experience. My family was late so that added more anxiety for me. Towards the end of the meeting they showed up. All of them came: the father, mother, and younger daughter and son. As they helped me with my things and we made our way to the station, they started asking me questions and conversing. Though I felt embarrassed about my lack of vocabulary or fluidity, they helped ease me and tried to help me. It was great!! On that ride home I got the walk through of what my daily commute will be like. It would be a 40 minute commute from home to school. Though living far away from school seems inconvenient for us college Americans, this is normal everyday life for Japanese students from like the age of 4. I see young kids making their way through the stations to get home. Public transportation in Japan is awesome! It seems to work out great.

Believe me 40 minutes is nothing! Some of my friends have to commute 1 hour and a half! You may think commuting might be really expensive but it is not really with a PASMO or SUICA card, which is a set payment for unlimited rides for the month. I love my PASMO! I absolutely love the area where my home is. It is a great mix of old and new. It is definitely urban enough but it has a home-like feel because of all the close quarter residences and the green plants and flowers everywhere. From my observation most of the people who live here are elder people or couples with families. It is great! Nearby there is a very accessible mix of mom and pop food shops, and convini’s. The market street is filled with small venders selling fruit, vegetables, bentos and seafood on the street. I would like to explore the area more when I have the chance! :) As we walked home I observed all of my surroundings to make sure I knew the way back to the station for tomorrow’s solo venture back to school.

For dinner we had sushi, mochiko chicken, and some pickled sides. It was sooo good! The food here has been amazing! After dinner I gave my host family my omiyage gifts which they opened up right away. It has been a long day and I am looking forward to a shower and bet. I will unpack and settle into my wonderful new living arrangement!

Goodnight.


No comments:

Post a Comment