Wednesday, September 15, 2010



FINALLY IN JAPAN!!! :D

Since I have landed in Japan I have been too busy or tired to write on here but here is an overview of my days here so far: (inserts from journal)

Day 1: Arrival

Arrived at Narita airport completely fine but a little nervous because my Japanese didn’t seem up to par--part of it was maybe due to lack of sleep. The flight went smoothly but seemed forever, even though I slept and watched some shows and movies on my personal tv screen. It was probably only an 8 hour flight but for some reason the hours seemed to last forever. Maybe it was my anticipation and excitement of getting to Tokyo. The ANA airlines flight attendants tried to speak to me in Japanese until they realized that I didn’t really understand what they were saying, more like I couldn’t hear them with the engines running and earphones in my ear ha. The food on the flight was ono! I didn’t really expect to have food on the flight (thanks to the US airlines who don’t give you anything unless you purchase it!) Thank goodness there were two meals on the flight because I was definitely was hungry! When I got to Narita airport I was relieved to see that the signs had English on them so I could figure out how to get around a little more easily. I went through immigration, baggage and customs fine. All my baggage was there, which was nice. Exiting the customs area I found the Japan study group (actually they found me). I was joined with the other members that were already there. Later in the evening we got to the hotel, the Sakura hotel in Ikebukuro, all I wanted to do was shower and get rid of my baggage that I had been carrying all day. The room is great and the futon and comforter is simply amazing and comfortable. Love it.



It is hot. No it is freakin hot here! Not the kind of sun burning, but humid. Worse than Hawaii. I literally want to take 3 showers a day. Ha well its that time of year for Japan. The hot sticky months of August are still lingering and autumn won't come for a while. Oh well.



Reflection: Though I currently feel unsettled and unsure of Japan, I for some reason feel like I am at home. Like I belong here or that I can be myself here. Something matches up. Maybe it is the under layer of similar culture, or beliefs or vibe but through the chaotic streets I some how find an inner stillness or connection with the millions of bodies going different directions. I am glad I am here!!


Here is a picture of what our room initially looked like until the luggage came up ha. Sakura Hotel, Ikebukuro. Very nice rooms!



No comments:

Post a Comment